Requirements Gathering: Goal—Position Profile to Include Complete Screening Criteria
As a foundational first step, it is crucial to establish well-defined and agreed upon requirements. A clear position profile should include a description of duties, responsibilities, necessary background experience, desired accomplishments and key expectations for the candidate in this role.
A well crafted position profile will be the principal document that will unify several key points:
- A clear description of the company, its products/services, relevant history and background that will provide the necessary context to where the company is in its evolution and life cycle.
- An insight into the culture and aspirations of the organization, why it would be an attractive opportunity to consider.
- A brief description of what circumstances lead up to the opening itself.
- Detailed description of the responsibilities of the position to include the expectations and the essential deliverables that contribute the goals of the company.
- Educational requirements
- Description of the opportunity that outlines the key reason this is an attractive position to consider
Included in this step should be the development of your unique narrative describing this opportunity with the purpose of engaging and attracting qualified prospects.
This step cannot be underestimated.
It is imperative that the requirements be agreed to by all those who contribute to the final decision on candidates to ensure alignment.
Once completed, a well-crafted position profile will be useful as a screening tool, marketing message and roadmap to locate existing potential candidates and form the foundation of a successful search.